Key Points for Safe Driving
Take the Keys, Accept the Consequences
Don’t Pressure Your Parents for a Car
Motor-vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for young people, and teens who have a vehicle reserved for their use are twice as likely to have a crash as teens who share a car with family members. So focus on learning to drive well now and talk with your parents about getting your own vehicle after you’ve gotten more experience.
Keep Working with Your Parents
Recent studies show that teens are more successful drivers — with fewer tickets and less dangerous driving — when their parents are involved for at least the first year fo the learing-to-drive process. So keep practicing together, follow your parent-teen drivnig agreement rules and talk to your parents.
This may be a Longer Process than You Expect
It takes about five years to reach the skill levels of most drivers. Passing your driving test doesn’t mean you have gained all the skills you need for safe driving. And overconfidence can put you at higher risk for a crash, too.
Get a Free Teen Membership
If you a have a learner’s permit, this membership is just for you! Flat tire, out of gas, locked out, dead battery? AAA will be there for you day or night. Your AAA teen membership will give you security and peace of mind. Plus you’ll get the same great benefits and discounts as all other AAA Members. Is mom or dad already a member? If the answer is yes, your membership is free. If not, ask them to become a member so you can get your own free membership.
- Parent-Teen Driving Agreement – Signing a formal agreement with your parent helps in multiple ways.
- Becoming a New Driver – Designed for teens, this brochure outlines tips and responsibilities of being a safe driver.
- AAA StartSmart – A series of newsletters that address the challenges teens face when learning to drive.
- DMV Practice Questions – Take this sample test to determine if you’re ready to take the state driving test.
- Driver-ZED – Offered by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, Driver-ZED is a computer-based program to help you practice driving on your PC.