At this beginning stage of the process, your aspiring driver already has some responsibilities and should commit to making safe passenger decisions.
Be a Safe Passenger
- Don’t ride with a teen driver without your advance permission.
- Ride without distracting the driver.
- Contact you for a ride home if a teen driver is unsafe.
- Always properly wear a safety belt.
Prepare to Earn an Instruction Permit
- Become an aware passenger, observing and asking questions about driving situations.
- Commit to regular practice sessions to develop skills required for safe driving and managing risks on the road.
- Understand the financial and legal responsibilities associated with driving.
- Obey rules, including driver license laws and those established by your family.
- Avoid taking unnecessary risks.
- DMV practice questions — Take this sample test to determine if you’re ready to take the state driving test.
- Becoming the New Driver — Designed for teens, this brochure outlines tips and responsibilities of being a safe driver.