At this stage of new driver education, your aspiring driver already has some responsibilities and should commit to making safe passenger decisions. Here are tips and guidelines to share with your teen:
Be a Safe Passenger
- Don’t ride with a teen driver without your advance permission.
- Don’t distract the driver.
- Contact you for a ride home if a teen driver is unsafe.
- Always properly wear a seat belt.
Prepare to Earn a Driver’s License
- Become an aware passenger, observing and asking questions about driving situations.
- Commit to regular practice sessions to help your teen driver develop skills required for driving and managing risks on the road.
- Understand the financial and legal responsibilities associated with driving.
- Obey rules, including driver license laws and those established by your family.
- Avoid taking unnecessary risks while driving.