Key Points for Safe Driving
Take the Keys, Accept the Consequences
Don’t Pressure Your Parents for a Car
Keep Working With Your Parents
It May Take Longer Than You Expect
A Word about SAFE
A cooperative effort sponsored by AAA Kansas and the Kansas Department of Transportation to increase restraint compliance through positive rewards and strong enforcement messages
- If the driver is belted … the child is belted 92% of the time.
- If the driver is NOT belted … the child is belted only 23% of the time.
"Recently, I was dispatched to the scene of a rollover crash with one occupant. The vehicle was still resting on its top when I arrived. The driver was sitting alongside the roadway being helped by a passerby. I could see obvious injuries to her arm as there was blood around the elbow and hand. I recognized her as a 17-year-old who attends high school with my daughter. I asked, 'Were you wearing your seatbelt?' She looked at me and said, 'You know I was, Sandy, I attended your Seatbelts are For Everyone class.' I followed the ambulance to the hospital and waited until her mom arrived. Mom told me she always wears her seatbelt now, and she makes sure everybody else does, too. Had she not been wearing her seatbelt, this teen would have suffered serious injuries or died." — Sheriff Sandy Horton, Crawford County, Kansas
Parent-Teen Driving Agreement – Signing a formal agreement with your parents helps in multiple ways.
- Becoming a New Driver – Designed for teens, this brochure outlines tips and responsibilities of being a safe driver.
- AAA StartSmart – A series of newsletters that address the challenges teens face when learning to drive.
- DMV Practice Questions – Take this sample test to determine if you’re ready to take the state driving test.
- Driver-ZED – Offered by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, Driver-ZED is a computer-based program to help you practice driving on your PC.
- SAFE Events – "Seatbelts are for Everyone" is a cooperative effort sponsored by AAA Kansas and the Kansas Department of Transportation to increase restraint compliance through positive rewards and strong enforcement messages.