Turning your teen into a safe driver is a complex task. Part of the process involves learning the rules of the road and how to safely operate a vehicle – two big areas where professional driver education and training can help tremendously. Even though your child is still weeks, months or even a couple years away from driving, it’s not too early to start learning about driver education.
New drivers need a solid foundation of knowledge, skills and plans to reduce their risk behind the wheel. Quality driver education can help to develop safe driving attitudes, improve hazard recognition and explain how to manage visibility, time and space in traffic.
Rhode Island requires teens to take classroom driver education prior to getting a Limited Instruction Permit. They are not required to take behind-the-wheel training, but AAA recommends it. Using a professional driver education school can be an effective way to provide your teen with the training needed to become a more informed and safer driver. It can also help preserve your relationship with your teen, as some very skilled and safety-conscious parents may not have the time or temperament to be the best teacher.
Choosing a Quality Driving School
When the time comes to pick a driving school, look beyond your budget and timeframe to seek out a quality school – one that focuses on your teen's safety, not just getting the license.
Ask around. Does your local high school offer driver education? Check with friends and neighbors about programs they've used.
Call several schools. Ask questions about the quality of their operations,a nd ask for references.
Visit several schools. Ask to sit in on a session, take a look at the vehicles and student materials.
The key is finding a school that meets your needs. Don’t make the mistake of choosing a convenient program over a quality program.
Does your local AAA club offer driver education?
- Choosing a Vehicle - How to choose a safe vehicle when the time comes.
- Teaching Your Teens to Drive - A program that gives parents everything they need to be a good driving coach.
- Choosing a Driving School - Driver education courses are designed to teach new drivers fundamental skills required to drive a motor vehicle. Tips in this AAA brochure will help you select the best driver training school.
- Becoming the New Driver - Designed for teens, this brochure outlines tips and responsibilities of being a safe driver.
- Driving Knowledge Quiz - Think you know the rules of the road? Take this quiz and find out.
- DMV Practice Questions - Take this sample test to determine if you’re ready to take the state driving test.