A quality driver training program will help your teen learn the rules of the road and how to safely operate a vehicle. It can also help you and your teen accelerate the learning process by bringing in the wisdom of professionals who often have trained hundreds or even thousands of other new drivers. AAA's Dare to Prepare online workshop video can help you determine how to choose a driving school.
So, how can you choose the driver education program that’s right for your teen?
Take time to find a quality school—one that focuses on your teen’s safety—instead of a school that is the least expensive, most convenient or focused solely on your teen passing the driving test.
- Ask around. Does your local high school offer driver education? Check with friends and neighbors about programs they’ve used.
- Call several schools. Ask specific questions about their operations, curriculum and training vehicles and request references.
- Visit several schools. Ask to sit in on a session, take a look at the vehicles and student materials.
- Check with the Better Business Bureau.
What to Look for in a Quality Driving School:
- Choosing a Driving School - Driver education courses are designed to teach new drivers the fundamental skills and basic knowledge required to drive a motor vehicle. Tips in this AAA brochure will help you select the best driver training school.
- DMV Practice Questions - Take this sample test to determine if you're ready to take the state driving test.
- Driving Knowledge Quiz - Do you know the rules of the road? Take this quiz and find out...
- Teaching Your Teens to Drive - A 56-minute DVD and handbook with step-by-step approaches in helping your teen prepare to drive.