At this stage of new driver education, your aspiring driver already has some responsibilities and should commit to making safe passenger decisions.
Be a Safe Passenger
- Don’t ride with a teen driver without your advance permission.
- Don’t distract the driver.
- Contact you for a ride home if a teen driver is unsafe.
- Always properly wear a seat belt.
Prepare to Earn a Driver’s License
- Become an aware passenger, observing and asking questions about driving situations.
- Commit to regular practice sessions to develop skills required for safe driving and managing risks on the road.
- Understand the financial and legal responsibilities associated with driving.
- Obey rules, including driver license laws and those established by your family.
- Avoid taking unnecessary risks while driving.
A cooperative effort sponsored by AAA Kansas and the Kansas Department of Transportation to increase restraint compliance through positive rewards and strong enforcement messages
- If the driver is belted … the child is belted 92% of the time.
- If the driver is NOT belted … the child is belted only 23% of the time.
“Recently, I was dispatched to the scene of a rollover crash with one occupant. The vehicle was still resting on its top when I arrived. The driver was sitting alongside the roadway being helped by a passerby. I could see obvious injuries to her arm as there was blood around the elbow and hand. I recognized her as a 17-year-old who attends high school with my daughter. I asked, ‘Were you wearing your seatbelt?’ She looked at me and said, ‘You know I was, Sandy, I attended your Seatbelts are For Everyone class.’ I followed the ambulance to the hospital and waited until her mom arrived. Mom told me she always wears her seatbelt now, and she makes sure everybody else does, too. Had she not been wearing her seatbelt, this teen would have suffered serious injuries or died.” — Sheriff Sandy Horton, Crawford County, Kansas
The SAFE program is expanding to high schools in other Kansas counties. Find out more about a SAFE event near you.