Ready to commit the time and effort needed to learn to drive? Then it’s time to find a quality driver training program.
Find a Program Right for You
- Look for a quality school that focuses on safety, rather than cost, convenience or just passing the test.
- Ask around. Does your high school offer driver education? Check with your friends and neighbors about driver education programs they’ve used.
- Ask your parents to call and visit several driving schools. They can ask specific questions about operations, curriculum and training vehicles and ask for references.
- Don’t settle for schools that advertise a quick or easy driver education program—focus on quality.
What You Can Learn
- The rules of the road and how to control the vehicle.
- How to combat distracted driving.
- How to anticipate dangers, minimize risk and drive defensively.
- What it means to be a safe, courteous and fuel-efficient driver.
- What’s needed to pass a driving test.
New drivers must complete a Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration approved Driver’s Education Course consisting of a minimum of 30-hours classroom instruction and 6-hours behind the wheel instruction training.
|Quality Driving Schools||Requirements for Schools Displaying the AAA Symbol|
|Require instructors to complete ongoing education.||Newer, well-maintained driver training cars.|
|Have reasonable student-teacher ratios.||Up-to-date training materials.|
|Are members of professional associations such as American Driver and Traffic Safety Education Association and Driving School Association of the Americas.||Professionally trained instructors.|
|Want, encourage and facilitate parental involvement.||A record of good business practices.|
|Have a solid history of resolving complaints to their customers' satisfaction.||Discounts to AAA members.|
- Choosing a Driving School – This printable guide has lots of tips about picking the right driving school. Be sure to share it with your parents.
- Becoming the New Driver in Your Family – This brochure outlines tips and responsibilities of being a safe driver.
- Driver-ZED – Offered by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, Driver-ZED is a computer-based program to help you practice driving.