New Hampshire does not require drivers to carry auto insurance, but you must be able to demonstrate you can meet NH Motor Vehicle Financial Responsibility Requirements in the event of an “at fault” collision. If you are unable to meet these requirements, then your driving privileges may be suspended unless you purchase auto insurance.
Planning ahead: How Can I Help Keep Teen Driver Auto Insurance Costs Down?
- Keep your grades up. Most insurers offer lower auto insurance rates for students with a “B” or higher grade average.
- Investigate discounts. Many insurers offer discounts for teen drivers who complete driver’s education or defensive driving courses.
- Don’t get your own car yet. If you won’t be the main driver for any of your family’s vehicles and can be classified as an occasional driver of one car, you could save your family hundreds of dollars in auto insurance.
- Practice, practice, practice. Now is the time to drive a lot with your parents under different conditions, so you’ll have fewer surprises (and potential crashes) when you’re driving solo.
- Partner with your parents. Research shows that teen drivers with more involved parents get fewer tickets and engage in less risky driving. Avoiding tickets and crashes will help keep your auto insurance rates down. Completing a parent-teen driving agreement with your parents can help.
Car Insurance Requirements in New Hampshire
If you are required to buy insurance, the minimum limits available for liability coverage are $25,000 per person for bodily injury, $50,000 if two or more persons are hurt and $25,000 for property damage (25/50/25). Drivers that purchase auto insurance for personal use must also buy at least $1,000 of medical payments coverage and uninsured motorist coverage at limits equal to their auto liability coverage. Insurance companies in New Hampshire determine rates based on factors such as your driving record, how long you’ve been a licensed driver, how much you drive, where you live and what you drive.
Learn more about car insurance available through AAA.